BPS Music Standards Book
K-8 General Music
Young children arrive in Sixth Grade General Music with widely varying knowledge in ....
6th Grade General Music "I can ... statements"
MUS-06.Cr - Creating
- MUS-06.Cr.01: Anchor Standard 1 Generate and conceptualize artistic ideas and work
- MUS-06.Cr.01.1a: Generate simple rhythmic, melodic, and harmonic phrases within AB and ABA forms that convey expressive intent.
- MUS-06.Cr.02: Anchor Standard 2 Organize and develop artistic ideas and work.
- MUS-06.Cr.02.1a: Select, organize, construct, and document personal musical ideas for arrangements and compositions within AB or ABA form that demonstrate an effective beginning, middle, and ending, and convey expressive intent.
- MUS-06.Cr.02.1b: Use standard and/or iconic notation and/or audio/ video recording to document personal simple rhythmic phrases, melodic phrases, and two-chord harmonic musical ideas.
- MUS-06.Cr.03: Anchor Standard 3 Evaluate, refine and complete artistic work.
- MUS-06.Cr.03.1a: Evaluate their own work, applying teacher-provided criteria such as application of selected elements of music, and use of sound sources.
- MUS-06.Cr.03.1b: Describe the rationale for making revisions to the music based on evaluation criteria and feedback from their teacher.
- MUS-06.Cr.03.2a: Present the final version of their documented personal composition or arrangement, using craftsmanship and originality to demonstrate an effective beginning, middle, and ending, and convey expressive intent.
MUS-06.Pr - Performing
- MUS-06.Pr.04: Anchor Standard 4 Select artistic work for presentation
- MUS-06.Pr.04.1a: Apply teacher-provided criteria for selecting music to perform for a specific purpose and/or context, and explain why each was chosen.
- MUS-06.Pr.04.2a: Explain how understanding the structure and the elements of music are used in music selected for performance.
- MUS-06.Pr.04.2b: When analyzing selected music, read and identify by name or function standard symbols for rhythm, pitch, articulation, and dynamics.
- MUS-06.Pr.04.2c: Identify how cultural and historical context inform performances.
- MUS-06.Pr.04.3a: Perform a selected piece of music demonstrating how their interpretations of the elements of music and the expressive qualities (such as dynamics, tempo, timbre, articulation/style, and phrasing) convey intent.
- MUS-06.Pr.05: Anchor Standard 5 Develop and refine artistic techniques and work for presentation.
- MUS-06.Pr.05.1a: Identify and apply teacher-provided criteria (such as correct interpretation of notation, technical accuracy, originality, and interest) to rehearse, refine, and determine when a piece is ready to perform.
- MUS-06.Pr.06: Anchor Standard 6 Convey meaning through the presentation of artistic work.?
MUS-06.Re - Responding
- MUS-06.Re.07: Anchor Standard 7 Perceive and analyze artistic work
- MUS-06.Re.07.1a: Select or choose music to listen to and explain the connections to specific interests or experiences for a specific purpose.
- MUS-06.Re.07.2a: Describe how the elements of music and expressive qualities relate to the structure of the pieces.
- MUS-06.Re.07.2b: Identify the context of music from a variety of genres, cultures, and historical periods.
- MUS-06.Re.08: Anchor Standard 8 Interpret intent and meaning in artistic work
- MUS-06.Re.08.1a: Describe a personal interpretation of how creators' and performers' application of the elements of music and expressive qualities, within genres and cultural and historical context, convey expressive intent.
- MUS-06.Re.09: Anchor Standard 9 Apply criteria to evaluate artistic work.
- MUS-06.Re.09.1a: Apply teacher-provided criteria to evaluate musical works or performances.
- MUS-06.Cn.10: Anchor Standard 10 Synthesize and relate knowledge and personal experiences to make art.
- MUS-06.Cn.10.1a: Demonstrate how interests, knowledge, and skills relate to personal choices and intent when creating, performing, and responding to music.
- MUS-06.Cn.11: Anchor Standard 11 Relate artistic ideas and works with societal, cultural, and historical context to deepen understanding
- MUS-06.Cn.11.1a: Demonstrate understanding of relationships between music and the other arts, other disciplines, varied contexts, and daily life.