BPS District English Standards Book
"I can ... statements"
High School Speech
The product of high school journalism classes, in many cases a yearbook or newspaper, is more than central purpose of a scholastic journalism program. Instead, it’s about the process, how students engage and work together at a high level of responsibility. Teachers encourage students forward with use of innovation in the classroom as journalism and communications are adapting to massive technological change.
ELA-SP.OC (OC) Oral Communication
- ELA-SP.OC.01 Students will organize, compose, and deliver messages effectively.
- ELA-SP.OC.02 Students will paraphrase information and acknowledge opinions and differences when necessary.
- ELA-SP.OC.03 Students will utilize a variety of methods to create and prepare a speech for delivery (e.g. develop a speaking outline).
- ELA-SP.OC.04 Students will utilize a variety a variety of communication methods to deliver speeches (e.g. adapt one’s delivery for informative and persuasive speeches).
ELA-SP.IL (IL) Information Literacy
ELA-SP.TW (TW) Team Work
- ELA-SP.TW.01 Students will learn to work collaboratively with others.
- ELA-SP.TW.02 Students will evaluate a variety of speeches in order to distinguish characteristics of effective and ineffective communication.