Solids, Liquids, Gases, and Plasmas
- A solid is matter that has a fixed volume and a fixed shape.
- A liquid is matter that has a fixed volume but not a fixed shape.
- A gas is matter that has neither a fixed volume nor a fixed shape.
- Like a gas, plasma lacks a fixed volume and shape. Unlike a gas, it can conduct electricity and respond to magnetism.
- The state of matter depends on the kinetic energy of the particles of matter.
States of Matter
Watch different types of molecules form a solid, liquid, or gas. Add or remove heat and watch the phase change. Change the temperature or volume of a container and see a pressure-temperature diagram respond in real time. Relate the interaction potential to the forces between molecules