SBE Parent Information
When talking with your child about his/her progress in school, consider asking your child the following questions:
- What standards are you working on in this class?
- What standards do you think you still need to learn?
- When was the last time you practiced / worked on [standard]?
- What feedback has your teacher given you on your work?
- When was the last time you were assessed (i.e. test, quiz, project) on [standard]?
- What is your proficiency level in this content area or standard? What do you need to do to improve? What are your areas of strength?
- Have you set a goal with your teacher regarding next steps toward reaching proficiency?
- Do you keep track of your own progress for these standards? If so, what does that pattern look like?
- When is your next opportunity to reassess on [standard]?
- What practice, studying and/or re-teaching opportunities have you completed in preparation for the next reassessment opportunity?
- Are you working on your homework/practice?
When contacting a teacher about learning in accordance with the standards, consider asking the following questions:
- When was the last time all students were assessed on [standard]?
- When is the next opportunity my child will have to reassess on [standard]?
- What practice, studying and/or re-teaching opportunities should my child take advantage of related to [standard] before reassessing?
- Is my child on target to reach the standard(s) by the end of instruction or end of the year?
- What will my child do after he/she reaches proficiency?
- Are formal assessments the only opportunity for my child to show proficiency?
- What other forms of communication can I expect outside of PowerSchool?