SBE Parent Information
Developing a standards-based curriculum and shifting toward standards-reflected grades requires changes in the way teachers teach and in the way schools view education. The shift to standards-based education is perhaps one of the most comprehensive and complex endeavors the public educational system has experienced in over 100 years.
Because change is challenging and because the education field requires constant reflection and revision, the documents and practices that exist today could very well change throughout the years. Please be assured that any changes are based on reflection, research, and effective practices, leading to a greater understanding of how students learn, and are always made with the best interests of students in mind.
“The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change.”
-- Heraclitus --
- "The Glossary of Education Reform -." The Glossary of Education Reform. Great Schools Partnership. Web. Access: 03 Feb. 2015. Guskey, T. R. (Ed.). (2009). Practical Solutions for Serious Problems in Standards-Based Grading. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Heflebower, Tammy. School Leaders Guide to Standards-based Grading. Marzano Research Laboratory: Solution Tree, 2014. Print.
- McMillan, J. H., and Hearn, J. “Student Self-Assessment: The Key to Stronger Student Motivation and Higher Achievement.” Educational HORIZONS, 87: 40-49. Fall 2008.
- McTighe, J., & Ferrara, S. Assessing Learning in the Classroom. Washington, DC: National Education Association. 2000. Print.
- Marzano, R. J. (2006). Classroom Assessment & Grading that Work. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Marzano, R. J. (2010). Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading: Classroom Strategies that Work. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research Laboratory.
- Marzano, R. J. (2000). Transforming Classroom Grading. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Marzano, R. J., & Haystead, M. W. (2008). Making Standards Useful in the Classroom. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Nichols, Beverly. Managing Curriculum and Assessment: A Practitioner's Guide. Worthington, OH: Linworth, 2006. Print.
- O’Connor, Ken. (2010). A Repair Kit for Grading: 15 Fixes for Broken Grades. Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- O’Connor, Ken. (2009). How to Grade for Learning: K-12 (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
- Reeves, D. (2011). Elements of Grading: A Guide to Effective Practice. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Stiggins, R., Arter, J., Chappuis, J., & Chappuis, S. (2006). Classroom Assessment for Student Learning: Doing it Right-Using it Well. Portland, OR: Educational Testing Service.