Key 1: Goal-Referenced

Key 1: Goal-Referenced

by BPS Facilitator -
Number of replies: 33

Goal Reference ImageGoal-Referenced

READ: Effective feedback requires that a person has a goal, takes action to achieve the goal, and receives goal-related information about his or her actions. I told a joke—why? To make people laugh. I wrote a story to engage the reader with vivid language and believable dialogue that captures the characters' feelings. I went up to bat to get a hit. If I am not clear on my goals or if I fail to pay attention to them, I cannot get helpful feedback (nor am I likely to achieve my goals).

Information becomes feedback if, and only if, I am trying to cause something and the information tells me whether I am on track or need to change course. If some joke or aspect of my writing isn't working—a revealing, nonjudgmental phrase—I need to know.

Note that in everyday situations, goals are often implicit, although fairly obvious to everyone. I don't need to announce when telling the joke that my aim is to make you laugh. But in school, learners are often unclear about the specific goal of a task or lesson, so it is crucial to remind them about the goal and the criteria by which they should self-assess. For example, a teacher might say,

• The point of this writing task is for you to make readers laugh. So, when rereading your draft or getting feedback from peers, ask, How funny is this? Where might it be funnier?
  • As you prepare a table poster to display the findings of your science project, remember that the aim is to interest people in your work as well as to describe the facts you discovered through your experiment. Self-assess your work against those two criteria using these rubrics. The science fair judges will do likewise.

REFLECT:

How can we provide students feedback aligned to desired outcomes or goals of the learning task (and is the student aware of those outcomes/goals)?

In reply to BPS Facilitator

Re: Key 1: Goal-Referenced

by Scott Johnson -

I think much of this could be addressed under the "why do I have to do this" category.  It goes much deeper than simply writing the standard on the assignment, which is sometimes what administration wants to see.  Truth is that no one else cares.  It's larger than that - how does this particular activity pertain to the larger picture, and then it can be as simple as circling the specific piece that was missing/errant.  Maybe this is an exit ticket piece for students once they receive their feedback (I'm thinking homework, etc) to put into words how the feedback proved useful to them on their path toward the end goal.

by Rosann Jacobs Fode -

The goals in AP are outlined at the beginning of the school year, but in addition to the goals I establish, the students establish their own goals. Every individual in the room records the goals they have following modeling of goal creation (otherwise the goals will be a lot of "Get an A" type stuff). When students have a personal goal which they set, they work harder to achieve it.

by Reagan Urbanec -

With my seniors, the goal is insight: graduation and (hopefully) higher education. It's my job to make my content applicable to their lives after high school whether they be attending college or going into the workforce. This extends beyond standards on top of the page and, ultimately, is the "why" for each particular lesson.

by Erin Hehr -

I have found a well-written rubric allows a clear picture for students of what the specific goals are.  Referring to the rubric, peer feedback, self-evaluation, and teacher observation are all ways to provide feedback aligned to desired goals.

In reply to Erin Hehr

by Vanessa DeCoteau -

I agree with you, Erin!  I think that the clearer we are with our expectations, the easier it is for students to see what the goal is.  As we have made progress in the areas of I can statements, focus questions, and driving questions, etc. these goals become more apparent to us and to our students.  One of the things we have implemented this year are self-checklists for each unit.  Students are given these at the beginning of the unit and they are able to check their progress as we move through a unit and to prepare for their summative assessment.

In reply to Vanessa DeCoteau

by Melissa Cournia -

I've also started using self-checklists with each area on my reading continuum. This helps both me and the student be clear on what they're doing well and what they need to work on more in order to move forward as a reader. This also gives them ownership of their learning which leads to engagement. 

In reply to Erin Hehr

by Kerri Townsend -

I also feel a good rubric can make the goals transparent for the student.

by Laura Wagner -

As I read the article, I wondered if students' goals should be really specific "I can" statements. I don't think my students have a clear idea of what it is they're working towards, even when I provide the standards and the "I can" statements. My AP students come the closest to knowing what the goal is because of all of the practice timed writings we do, but I think even with the score I give them, I'm not sure that they really know what a 6 paper looks like. 

by Lisa Bauman -

Shiela Peterson made these awesome notepads with the clear learning targets that can be used as a self or peer feedback sheet.  The students have a written sheet to discuss with their peer for each step of a correct basketball shot for example.  They have 3 simple goals to accomplish and celebrate.  Thanks Shiela!

by Robert Graff -

Information is only considered feedback if it related to the learning goal.  Therefore, the student must understand how the information is to help them reach the goal.  They must understand the goal as well as how the feedback will help them.  Perhaps, this can be achieved using peer-to-peer discussion and/or student-to-teacher discussion.

In reply to Robert Graff

by Susie Brynjolfson -

I agree with you Rob in that I think peer-to-peer discussion can help students understand the goal, and what to do with the feedback given.  I believe students actually "talking about" the goals with each other, and with the teacher, is more effective than a students quietly reading feedback handed back to them.  Engaging with each other in the learning process can be very powerful.

In reply to Susie Brynjolfson

by Melissa Cournia -

Agreed - feedback is only useful in relation to the learning goal and feedback is only useful when it can be acted upon - student discussion adds power to both and learning becomes a process of trial and error, ultimately growth, instead of incorrect and moving on.

by Wade Curren -

I think that it is very important for students to know what it is they are learning (the I can statements) and how they are going to learn it.  Having these goals outlined at the beginning of the lesson helps students to focus their learning.  In addition, I have found that when I have students work on a project where I provide a rubric, the results of the project are almost always at a higher level of learning.  Again, the rubric outlines the goals of the project and helps the students to focus their learning.

by Matthew Bohrer -

In my classroom the goals and outcomes are posted on a free standing white board by the door.  The trick is how to get students to engage and pay attention to those "I CAN statements" and use that as the benchmark that they need to reach. My job is provide more meaningful activities that involve practicing those goals.

In reply to Matthew Bohrer

by Becky Davis -

I agree, I think having your I can statements posted is huge! Kids know what's expected of them in student friendly terms.

by Marcy Feickert -

When I start my lessons each day I let my students know what my goal is for the day by using I can statements.  I then demonstrate the skill I want them to know as a class and then I let them practice on their own.  I feel it to be more meaningful to the student when the goal is specific and clearly identified in practice.

In reply to Marcy Feickert

by Kelly Schettler -

I love that you do this! It is so important for students to have a clear goal in mind and know when they have achieved it! 

by Rani Nelson -

The big thing that stuck out to me with this section was making sure that students know the specific goal of the lesson or activity.  It is hard to give and provide effective feedback if you do not have a goal to reach to give feedback about.  I am going to try and emphasize this "goal" setting more in my class and see how that changes students attitudes about what we are doing and how the students provide and accept feedback.

by Tamara Tufte -

I make attempts to assure my students understand the ultimate goal of our work in class.  However, I do not know that they are all with me, or even care some of the time.  That is a realistic statement that most secondary educators are probably familiar with.  The feedback provided should always be related to the end goal.  It may not be directly related to the ultimate end goal, the standard, but the feedback can be tied to the shorter term I cans. 

by Brittany Christenson -

One good way I try to keep feedback goal-referenced is by beginning each unit or project by posting the "I cans" and/or driving question on the board and on Google Classroom. This way students have the end game in sight throughout the entire process and I am able to refer back to them when providing feedback.

by Kristine Montgomery -

When giving feedback to students, I have found that each one of them want to gain information to help them attain their goals. Most don't want a few positive things written down and that is it. Rather, they want me to help better their work.

by Stacy Carufel -

I am going to make a commitment to defining EACH day/class period what the intended outcome is for the class period. I am not going to assume that the students know why we are doing a particular task.

by Wendy Hafner-Bakken -

We can provide student feedback aligned to goals by keeping our target goals in mind, writing them down to be seen by both teacher and students as well as discussing them throughout assignments and projects.

by Rachel Jungling -

I think sticking with the I cans is helpful and a great way to remain consistent. I like having a copy of them at each table too- and if I could be just a little more organized have images that show what artwork that meets those I cans looks like. 

by Kate Skibicki -

I use the "I can" statements as I teach and continue to "teach" them throughout my lessons.  We discuss the proficiency scale at the start of the lesson, and determine as a class what it means.  As I am teaching and they are learning we continue to bring in the "I can" statements and discuss our progress.  Their goal is to meet the standard and go beyond it on the summative assessment. My students are beginning to learn how to drive their own learning, it is my job to teach them how to drive!

by Melissa Ringgenberg -

This is an area I really want to improve on in one specific class.  I want my goals to be more direct so students know exactly what I am looking for.  While I have always shared those expectations (verbally), I really want to amp it up to something more concrete.  This is what my primary purpose was for taking this course and I am very excited to see how it impacts my students.

by Jessica Bentz -

Students need to know the desired outcomes.  Once they know the desired outcomes, they need to know how to accomplish the task at hand.  By providing differentiated instruction on the skills needed to achieve the learning target(s) students should then be able to put them into practice.  This is where myself or another student whom has proven able to demonstrate the skill(s) can provide valuable feedback to ensure desirable outcomes are achieved throughout the class.

by Thomas Bushaw -

Take your subject matter and try to create learning that will allow students to apply it to life. Giving them application and a reason behind why they should learn. This can be tricky for many subject areas catering to an array of student interests, desires, and goals. Ask the kid what they like to do and try to find an application with them that seems practical and valuable. Then set a goal or standard or objective to help them learn and provide feedback in the process between the beginning and the end. 

by Melissa Cournia -

I noticed that a lof of this discussion has focused on I can statements. I think these statements can range in size like Tufte mentioned. For example, "I can read fluently". That's an overarching goal for my reading intervention class, but that goal doesn't mean anything if 1) students don't know why they should care about meeting that goal  and 2) that goal is broken down so they can see where they're at in relation to that goal - I read accurately but have weak phrasing and intonation. 

by Andrea Frantz -

Goals need to be posted every time feedback is given and directly reference the areas of the goal you are giving feedback/commenting on. 

by Alisha Gerving -

I would want to make sure that my students are aware of there goals. And have them track their progress on their goals and have them continue to have feedback sessions with me or from the menu to help them continue to grow and be responsible for their own learning.

by Melissa Schmitt -

Having the students see the rubric can help guide them and if they can connect it to a life long goal and make it personable, they will be much more engaged and willing to participate.

by Stephen Townsend -

Giving students access to proficiency scales that are kid friendly allow students to understand where the learning is going.  Designing curriculum that allows students to make progress on those scales and giving them feedback related to to goals on the scales encourages them to continue their work toward proficiency.