BPS District Science Standards Book
Disciplinary Core Idea
|Kindergarten||1st Grade||2nd Grade|
SCI-K2.ETS1 DCI: [ETS1] Grade K-2 Engineering Design
- SCI-K2.ETS1.01 make observations, and gather information about a situation people want to change to define a simple problem that can be solved through the development of a new or improved object or tool.
- SCI-K2.ETS1.02 le sketch, drawing, or physical model to illustrate how the shape of an object helps it function as needed to solve a given problem.
- SCI-K2.ETS1.03 rom tests of two objects designed to solve the same problem to compare the strengths and weaknesses of how each performs.
|3rd Grade||4th Grade||5th Grade|
SCI-EL.ETS1 DCI: [ETS1] Grade 3-5 Engineering Design
- SCI-EL.ETS1.01 e design problem reflecting a need or a want that includes specified criteria for success and constraints on materials, time, or cost.
- SCI-EL.ETS1.02 ompare multiple possible solutions to a problem based on how well each is likely to meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
- SCI-EL.ETS1.03 out fair tests in which variables are controlled and failure points are considered to identify aspects of a model or prototype that can be improved.
|6th Physical Sci||7th Life Sci||8th Earth Sci|
SCI-MS.ETS1 DCI: [ETS1] Grade MS Engineering Design
- SCI-MS.ETS1.01 Define the criteria and constraints of a design problem with sufficient precision to ensure a successful solution, taking into account relevant scientific principles and potential impacts on people and the natural environment that may limit possible solutions.
- SCI-MS.ETS1.02 Evaluate competing design solutions using a systematic process to determine how well they meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
- SCI-MS.ETS1.03 Analyze data from tests to determine similarities and differences among several design solutions to identify the best characteristics of each that can be combined into a new solution to better meet the criteria for success.
- SCI-MS.ETS1.04 Develop a model to generate data for iterative testing and modification of a proposed object, tool, or process such that an optimal design can be achieved.
SCI-HS.ETS1 DCI: [ETS1] Grade HS Engineering Design
- SCI-HS.ETS1.01 Analyze a major global challenge to specify qualitative and quantitative criteria and constraints for solutions that account for societal needs and wants.
- SCI-HS.ETS1.02 Design a solution to a complex real-world problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable problems that can be solved through engineering.
- SCI-HS.ETS1.03 Evaluate a solution to a complex real-world problem based on prioritized criteria and trade-offs that account for a range of constraints, including cost, safety, reliability, and aesthetics as well as possible social, cultural, and environmental impacts.
- SCI-HS.ETS1.04 Use a computer simulation to model the impact of proposed solutions to a complex real-world problem with numerous criteria and constraints on interactions within and between systems relevant to the problem.