BPS District Social Studies Standards Book
K-12 Grade Bands
- Global Studies 7
7109: Global Studies
Grade Placement: 7 .......... Full year
This is a required course of study for 7th grade. It is a study of “The Western Hemisphere” is a course that examines Antarctica, Mexico, Central America, South America, West Indies, United States and Canada. This course also places emphasis on political and economic systems, as well as religious and cultural differences and similarities. It is an explanation of historical events and how those events apply to world conditions today.
SST-07.G Geography Domain
Students understand and apply concepts of geography.
SST-07.G.01 Describe the physical processes that shape the Earth’s surface and how these affect the lives of people who live there.
- SST-07.G.01.1 Describe the physical processes that shape the Earth’s surface.
- SST-07.G.01.2 Explain the factors that cause different types of climates and ecosystems, and their latitudes/locations.
- SST-07.G.01.3 Identify how major ecosystems provide raw materials.
- SST-07.G.01.4 Analyze the physical and human characteristics of a place.
- SST-07.G.01.5 Describe how combinations of human decisions and natural forces can lead to (or help people avoid) a natural disaster.
SST-07.G.02 Analyze the movement of people, goods, ideas, technology, etc. throughout the world.
- SST-07.G.02.1 Explain how movement of goods, information, and population are affected by technology.
- SST-07.G.02.2 Describe patterns of settlement and explain why people settle where they do and how they make their living.
- SST-07.G.02.3 Explain the patterns, causes, and consequences of major human migrations.
SST-07.G.03 Analyze the unifying physical and human characteristics of a region and their formal and informal boundaries.
- SST-07.G.03.1 Describe the differences and similarities among cultures around the world.
- SST-07.G.03.2 Analyze the physical and human characteristics of a region.
- SST-07.G.03.3 Interpret how culture and experience influence people’s perception of places and regions.
- SST-07.G.03.4 Identify factors that contribute to conflict and cooperation between cultural groups from multiple perspectives.
SST-07.G.04 Use geographic tools to locate both the absolute and relative location of places and regions around the world.
- SST-07.G.04.1 Explain and use a variety of geographic tools to study the world on global, regional, and local scales and draw conclusions.
- SST-07.G.04.2 Apply the skills of geographic inquiry to analyze a geographic problem or issue.
SST-07.G.05 Analyze how human beings are dependent upon, adapt to, and modify their environment to meet their needs.
- SST-07.G.05.1 Explain how people have modified the environment and used technology to make places more suitable for humans.
- SST-07.G.05.2 Analyze how human changes to the environment in one region or place can affect another.