K-12 Grade Bands
- ND Studies 8
8142: ND Studies 8
Grade Placement: 8 .......... Semester 1 | 2 (Block)
or Full Year (Skinny)
This is a required course of study for 8th grade. It is a study that reviews all aspects of the state of North Dakota beginning with the early history and includes government, people, economics, current issues, geography, and special topics.
SST-08.ND North Dakota History
SST-08.ND.01 Examine the physical and human geography of North Dakota and how it has changed.
- SST-08.ND.01.1 Identify the three landscape regions of North Dakota and describe the major features of the regions and the forces that formed them.
- SST-08.ND.01.2 Explain the human settlement patterns in North Dakota.
- SST-08.ND.01.3 Interpret current thematic maps to identify where people live and work, and how land is used.
SST-08.ND.02 Explain the development and functions of North Dakota’s state and local governments, tribal governments and the role of citizens.
- SST-08.ND.02.1 Describe the structure, role, and formation of tribal governments, both present and past, in North Dakota.
- SST-08.ND.02.2 Describe the formation, structure, and modern role of the territorial, state, county, and local government of North Dakota.
- SST-08.ND.02.3 Explain the impact of political organizations and individual citizens on the political systems and institutions of North Dakota.
SST-08.ND.03 Evaluate the major industries and economic activities in North Dakota.
SST-08.ND.04 Analyze the historical and current events and their impact on the development of North Dakota.
- SST-08.ND.04.1 Identify the Native American groups in North Dakota before European contact and describe their culture.
- SST-08.ND.04.2 Analyze European exploration and early settlement of North Dakota and its impact on Native American groups.
- SST-08.ND.04.3 Describe the major factors that brought settlers to North Dakota.
- SST-08.ND.04.4 Analyze the effect of government policy, both historical and modern, toward Native American groups in North Dakota.
- SST-08.ND.04.5 Evaluate the growth and struggles of the modernization of North Dakota and the role the state has played in modern America.
- SST-08.ND.04.6 Use various primary and secondary resources to acquire, analyze, and evaluate information.