BPS District Social Studies Standards Book
K-12 Grade Bands
3-5 Grade Levels
"I can ... statements"
A high-quality Social Studies program is essential for all students. It provides a foundation for intelligent and precise thinking. Social Studies should also prepare every student to contribute to society as an informed citizen. To be a responsible and productive member of today’s society, a student needs to have a broad, connected, and useful knowledge of Social Studies.
With 3rd Grade Standards, your child will be studying about their community and beyond.
With 4th Grade Standards, your child will be studying about North Dakota.
With 5th Grade Standards, your child will be studying about America's past.
SST-3_5.C Civics Domain
Origin, Purpose, and Function
- SST-03.C.01 | SST-04.C.01 | SST-05.C.01
Compare and contrast the responsibilities and powers of government officials at various levels and branches of government.
- SST-03.C.02 | SST-04.C.02 | SST-05.C.02
Describe the structure of government and how it functions to serve citizens/residents.
- SST-03.C.03 | SST-04.C.03 | SST-05.C.03
Describe the structure of governments in North Dakota and how they function to serve citizens & residents.
- SST-03.C.04 | SST-04.C.04 | SST-05.C.04
Explain the importance of the basic principles that provide the foundation of the American system of government. (e.g. Amendments, Constitution, symbols, patriotic traditions, government leaders, etc.)
Roles and Involvement of United States Citizens and Residents
- SST-03.C.05 | SST-04.C.05 | SST-05.C.05
Describe procedures for making decisions in a variety of settings.
- SST-03.C.06 | SST-04.C.06 | SST-05.C.06
Compare and contrast personal and civic responsibilities and explain why they are important in community life.
- SST-03.C.07 | SST-04.C.07 | SST-05.C.07
Develop and implement an action plan to address or inform others about an issue.
SST-3_5.E Economics Domain
Exchange and Markets
- SST-03.E.01 | SST-04.E.01 | SST-05.E.01
Utilize fundamental principles and concepts of economics to understand economic activity.
- SST-03.E.02 | SST-04.E.02 | SST-05.E.02
Describe how goods and services are produced and distributed.
- SST-03.E.03 | SST-04.E.03 | SST-05.E.03
Identify factors that influence saving and spending choices.
- SST-03.E.04 | SST-04.E.04 | SST-05.E.04
Describe the necessity and impact of community services.
- SST-03.E.05 | SST-04.E.05 | SST-05.E.05
Describe & analyze how North Dakota’s location, culture, and natural resources influence its economic decisions and development.
- SST-03.E.06 | SST-04.E.06 | SST-05.E.06
Compare and contrast the economic development of the geographical regions of the United States.
- SST-03.E.07 | SST-04.E.07 | SST-05.E.07
Explain how natural resources affect the economies of the geographical regions of the United States.
- SST-03.E.08 | SST-04.E.08 | SST-05.E.08
Describe how economics have changed over time.
SST-3_5.G Geography Domain
- SST-03.G.01 | SST-04.G.01 | SST-05.G.01
Construct maps, graphs, and other representations of both familiar and unfamiliar places.
- SST-03.G.02 | SST-04.G.02 | SST-05.G.02
Use geographic tools and technologies to acquire, process and report information from a spatial perspective.
- SST-03.G.03 | SST-04.G.03 | SST-05.G.03
Use maps, satellite images, photographs, and other representations to explain relationships between the locations of places and regions and their environmental characteristics.
Human and Environment Interactions
- SST-03.G.04 | SST-04.G.04 | SST-05.G.04
Explain how North Dakota regions have been influenced by physical and human characteristics.
- SST-03.G.05 | SST-04.G.05 | SST-05.G.05
Compare and contrast the three geographical regions of North Dakota.
- SST-03.G.06 | SST-04.G.06 | SST-05.G.06
Explain how United States regions are created from common physical and human characteristics.
- SST-03.G.07 | SST-04.G.07 | SST-05.G.07
Analyze patterns of human settlement in North Dakota.
- SST-03.G.08 | SST-04.G.08 | SST-05.G.08
Analyze patterns of human settlement in North America.
SST-3_5.H History Domain
- SST-03.H.01 | SST-04.H.01 | SST-05.H.01
Compare and contrast multiple perspectives during the same time period, event, or historical period.
- SST-03.H.02 | SST-04.H.02 | SST-05.H.02
Describe how people’s perspectives shape history.
- SST-03.H.03 | SST-04.H.03 | SST-05.H.03
Describe the North Dakota Native American Essential Understandings.
Cause-Effect & Current Events
- SST-03.H.04 | SST-04.H.04 | SST-05.H.04
Analyze United States national holidays or days of observance and the impact on the culture of the United States.
- SST-03.H.05 | SST-04.H.05 | SST-05.H.05
Describe multiple causes and effects of contemporary global events and developments in relation to North Dakota.
- SST-03.H.06 | SST-04.H.06 | SST-05.H.06
Describe multiple causes and effects of contemporary global events and developments in relation to the United States.
Connections, Contributions, Historical Source & Evidence
- SST-03.H.07 | SST-04.H.07 | SST-05.H.07
Explain cause and effect relationships among historical events in the United States using primary and secondary sources.
- SST-03.H.08 | SST-04.H.08 | SST-05.H.08
Explain how individuals contributed to the United States throughout different historical eras using primary and secondary sources.
- SST-03.H.09 | SST-04.H.09 | SST-05.H.09
Explain how individuals and groups contributed to North Dakota.
- SST-03.H.10 | SST-04.H.10 | SST-05.H.10
Describe the events and developments that led to the statehood of North Dakota.