Introduction to Matter (Book)
Introduction to Matter
The following NGSS Standards will be the focus of instruction for this unit of study.
Matter and Its Interactions
- SCI-MS.PS1.01 Develop models to describe the atomic composition of simple molecules and extended structures.
- SCI-MS.PS1.02 Analyze and interpret data on the properties of substances before and after the substances interact to determine if a chemical reaction has occurred.
- SCI-MS.PS1.03 Gather and make sense of information to describe that synthetic materials come from natural resources and impact society.
- SCI-MS.PS1.04 Develop a model that predicts and describes changes in particle motion, temperature, and state of a pure substance when thermal energy is added or removed.
- SCI-MS.PS1.05 Develop and use a model to describe how the total number of atoms does not change in a chemical reaction and thus mass is conserved.
- SCI-MS.PS1.06 Undertake a design project to construct, test, and modify a device that either releases or absorbs thermal energy by chemical processes.
The benchmarks colored BLUE "Need to Know" indicate them as identified for targeted for all students to master, with YELLOW "Important to Know" supporting the priority benchmarks. This was a prioritization process not an elimination - the white are the overall supporting benchmarks.