Strategy 3:

Strategy 3:

by BPS Facilitator -
Number of replies: 29

reflect on learningProvide opportunities to reflect on coursework.

Developing reflective skills provides students with the ability to consider their own performance and to identify their strengths, weaknesses, and areas that require improvement. Students can then to use this knowledge to influence their future learning. Higher-order thinking skills are fostered as students learn to recognize their own cognitive growth. Questions that help this process might include:

• Before this course, I thought earthquakes were caused by _______. Now I understand them to be the result of _______.
  • How has my thinking about greenhouse gases changed since taking this course?

REFLECT:

How and where might you implement this practice in the project you're working on?

How might this help you to innovate formative assessment?

In reply to BPS Facilitator

Re: Strategy 3:

by Scott Johnson -

Mostly because of the nature of the courses I teach, but I don't really spend much time on this.  It's brand new to them or there is only cursory knowledge about it.  So instead what I do is try to point out misconceptions that I tend to see along the way.  It's why I don't pre-test either - although I could see that as a good way to recognize growth.  I've never subscribed to pre-testing because everyone (students as well) already knows it is novel information - or pre-existing knowledge is very rudimentary so not really worth our time. To compensate, I do take time to recognize just how much we have learned - and in what context the knowledge is used within the science field - to address this component of metacognition.

by Rosann Jacobs Fode -

My students create an opening statement and quarterly reflections on progress. It  is important to note that they are given the tools they need to accurately reflect and that I assess the reflection. I think we have all had the students who don't reflect well because they have never had feedback on the self-reflection process.

by Reagan Urbanec -

With the research paper, it's important for students to self reflect along the away in order for their finished product to be completed per the expectations. Generally, this self reflection, in my class, happens informally. "Oh, you're not finding any research to back up your claim? Perhaps you need to reevaluate your claim or even your research question and topic." If students are missing an element, they, again generally, just know what they need to do to fix their errors. An element that I need to get better on is providing more structured/formal opportunities to self reflect during the research process so that it's not the night before the paper is due that students decide they don't have enough research to support their claim. 

by Wade Curren -

Within my own science class, I have students take a pre-test prior to starting a new unit.  Students keep a log of their performance throughout the unit looking at how they have grown in their learning from the original pre-test, through practice that we do, through formative assessments that we take, and finally the summative test.  Students like to track their progress and it really helps them to reflect on what they have learned and how much they have learned.

by Dayna Zins -

My students are given the opportunity to share what they know at the beginning of the unit with a baseline vocabulary assessment.  As we progress through this unit, they will be able to show how the vocabulary applies.  Through this course and the formative assessments created, they will have a better opportunity to reflect on their project as they work. I have not taken the time for this in the past...at least not to this degree.

by Vanessa DeCoteau -

I like the idea of asking a quick question like, "How has your thinking changed?"  I have not totally figured out how to implement this in my economics classes, but I do see some use for it in criminal law when we are talking about different viewpoints on topics.

by Kayla Ekart -

This type of higher order comparison of growth may be the most beneficial for my student as a connection and comparison between English and Latin.  "Prior to x unit, my understanding of x grammar topic in English was..."  

by Melissa Meier Moritz -

Our student self/peer assessments will be the driving force in addressing this strategy.  Student comments will initiate critical thinking skills relating to challenges faced, what additional information is needed to accomplish meeting goals, collaboration and mentor/mentee feedback, problem solving and innovative thinking skills will be key element in addressing strengths/weaknesses that will support the "if not, why not" philosophy of the course focused on during this summer academy. 

by Sara Rinas -

I like the idea of these quick opportunities for students to recognize their understanding and growth of a particular concept or subject.  This is a quick formative assessment that allows students to see growth, but would also give me the opportunity to assess student learning.  You may also extend this reflection by asking students what they still don't understand or what they would like to know more about.

by Melissa Davis -

This step can be easily overlooked because of limited instruction time, but is absolutely essential to learning.  It is particularly important when instruction is student driven as it is in a PBL.  I try to give a few minutes at the end of each project work day for students to reflect on what they created and learned and to respond.  I have struggled with getting students to put this time to good use, so I would love to see some strong strategies for structuring this time to encourage student participation.  I have also encouraged and in some cases required students to share their feedback with their groups as a basis for continued project improvement. 

by Wendy Hafner-Bakken -

Students will have opportunities to self-assess their self-advocacy skills throughout the year and determine additional strengths and challenges each time.

by Stacy Carufel -

Students will have ongoing opportunities to self-assess their advocacy skills throughout the year. They will be working with a fluid document and it will require self-reflection on a regular basis.

by Wendy Hafner-Bakken -

I will focus on this on a regular basis by asking discussion questions with students and encouraging them to reflect on classroom projects, assignments and assessments. 

by Alisha Gerving -

Having student look at prior knowledge levels to after the learning has occurred levels, can be a powerful tool for motivation of a student. This allows them to reflect on the process they went through and what they obtained from that process.

In reply to Alisha Gerving

by Melissa Cournia -

I like this - it helps get to that metacognitive thinking about how did this growth occur? What did you do to cause yourself to learn and grow like this?

by Melissa Schmitt -

Pretesting them on what they know can help set the pace for the lessons to follow and can help the students know what to expect in the upcoming lessons/ 

by Andrea Frantz -

I like the the idea of reflecting, but my students need the help. SO if gen ed teachers could help give ways to reflect we can do that. Sometimes conversations are easiest, voice recordings, drawings, but then I also need a blurb of what was covered to keep them on track. 

by Gina Phillips -

I will be able to use this at the end of each leadership unit where students reflect upon their change in leadership qualities. 

by Melissa Cournia -

This might be the key to buy-in with my Reading Strategies class. How has my thinking about fluency changed due to this course? How has my thinking about vocabulary development change? Comprehension? Fiction? Plot? etc.

by Amanda Tomlinson -

I really like this strategy and think i could use it in my classroom.  As we move more towards an avid school, I think this could be an effective tool to guide student reflection on their notes and the materials covered during the class period. 

by Julie Curren -

Most of my units start out with a baseline to check students’ current knowledge of the material we are about to cover.  I also do exit tickets and other informal formative checks throughout the unit.  Sometimes peer reviews are used to help students reflect on their progress; other times I have students complete self-evaluation checklists to help them monitor their progress.

by Jason Wright -

Very good article solidifying how I currently feel about student success in the classroom, but with some added thoughts, tips and ideas which I can be using all the time!!!  I also feel that in order to incorporate/promote/model this type of thinking and learning that we must slow down and not be as concerned about "all" students achieving the same end product and/or the pacing guide we may have created per team or individually.  I feel that oftentimes it is consistently difficult to follow through with the "time" needed since before you know we are out of time... I teach a 45 minute course and by the time the students have arrived from Phy Ed class and attendance has been taken I feel rushed!!!  But, as I reflect back on my own teaching, it might be more important to better plan out time for student reflecting...etc.  I like this article and will refer back to it often!!!

by John Doppler -

I try to apply this self reflection to all that we do. In the moment, we are working on verbals  The students take a pretest (form a) and after correcting see the areas to practce. They are given a few days before they are expected to take form b. What I look for is practice that matches problem areas. This recognition of what needs to be practiced enables each student to focus on his or her needs. It is getting better and better as we continued our development.

by Tescha Walz -

In my classroom, developing reflective skills provides my kids with the ability to consider their outcome and to identify both weaknesses and strengths.  Then, they are able to look at areas of improvement.  The students can grow their higher order thinking skills when they can recognize weaknesses and areas that need improvement.  Formal assessments would include being able to change and grow based on past experiences and reflections.

by Tara Heydt -

How and where might you implement this practice in the project you're working on?  The students wrote entries in their Pioneer Journals daily that reflected their understanding of Pioneer Life.  When writing narrative and informative pieces of writing, the newly created checklist will help the students stay organized with their thinking and expectations in the writing process

How might this help you to innovate formative assessment?  

The Journal entries will give a nice picture as to how the students are understanding the material being taught-are they making connections and understanding how different pioneer life was.  The checklist used during the writing process will help the teacher see how much more teaching will happen on different aspects of the writing process as students finish specific tasks on the checklist.  More time may need to be spent before giving a formative assessment.

by Kristen Hjelmstad -

In my classroom, we use a RAN chart when we start learning about a new topic. The students write down what they think they know on a sticky note. As they are learning they will write down new facts and at the end they look at how their learning has changed throughout an unit.

by Alexis Wilhelm -

I provide the opportunity for my students to share their prior knowledge when beginning a lesson or unit, including a baseline or making a KWL chart. These strategies present the chance to discuss what my students know, which can be used to see progress made.