Moodling 12-13 S2 “off to a good start”

by David Sherwin -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Mentor

I saw in an English classroom some examples of idioms that made me think about the subject line.  So does “off (mean not "on") a good start”? I will let you all decide. Below are some of the statistics that was from just yesterday Thursday, January 17, 2013:

• Student Moodle had 11028 sessions which is the third busiest on the server. (Thank goodness that the server was updated to handle more use of Moodle.)
  • 662 Students have already logged in this semester to Student Moodle
  • There are 43 courses already open to students
  • 172 assignment were uploaded (saves some paper yesterday)
  • The different book modules in courses have been viewed 816 times. (none printed – that saved some paper)
  • 716 lesson views about different topics in different courses. (Nice to see that teachers are starting to use lesson modules to create chunked learning sessions that fit their curriculum.)
  • And there were 127 quizzes attempted and scored by Moodle (which saved the teachers some time scoring) Remember that teachers can import those scores into your PTG grade book so that you do not have to hand enter scores.

For the new members of the Moodle 101 this is the monthly update of what is happening with Student Moodle. Moodle will automatically email the posts from the “Moodle 101 Announcements and News” to your email. If you click on any of the links in your email, it should take you directly to the Moodle 101 course.

Moodle is very robust and can overwhelm a teacher. So if you are new and not sure where to start with Moodle, consider beginning with something easy. All high school teachers have their individual courses, but the courses are hidden from the students. So when you are ready to try using Moodle, just go to your course settings and make the course available to students.

Remember that you do not have to start from scratch, because you can import content that has already been created in the Master Course. If you need help just give me a call or drop me an email. Once the content is in your course, just modify to fit your needs. In fact, you can hide all the activities and only show the activities that you want to try with your students.

So start small but think big.

Aloha...
         ...DBS