Key 7: Consistent

Key 7: Consistent

by BPS Facilitator -
Number of replies: 17

consistency imageConsistent

READ: To be useful, feedback must be consistent. Clearly, performers can only adjust their performance successfully if the information fed back to them is stable, accurate, and trustworthy. In education, that means teachers have to be on the same page about what high-quality work is. Teachers need to look at student work together, becoming more consistent over time and formalizing their judgments in highly descriptive rubrics supported by anchor products and performances. By extension, if we want student-to-student feedback to be more helpful, students have to be trained to be consistent the same way we train teachers, using the same exemplars and rubrics.

REFLECT:

What are some ways consistency be used with feedback?

How are some ways you provide consistency with your feedback?

In reply to BPS Facilitator

Re: Key 7: Consistent

by Rhiannon Reems -

Teachers can be consistent with feedback by sharing rubrics and expectations with students ahead of time. It can also be very helpful to share examples of student exemplars ahead of time. If students can see examples ahead of time, and they can connect it to the rubrics and expectations, they should be able to apply the feedback they receive to help them make improvements to their performance.

In reply to Rhiannon Reems

by Vanessa DeCoteau -

I agree that setting expectations as well as giving students rubrics and examples at the beginning of a project or unit is beneficial to help the student know exactly what your expectations are. 

As we have created proficiency scales, I can statements, and common assessments with our subject alike counterparts it also helps create consistent feedback.  The economics team in the district is a small group so it has been very easy and beneficial to have these conversations about what our expectations are and how will we know when students “get it.”  The more we work together, the clearer our focus has become.

In reply to Vanessa DeCoteau

by Melissa Cournia -

I think you've made 2 important points:

1. When mentioning I can statements, this reminds me that consistency in feedback also needs to be in kid friendly language. Consistency isn't effective if our students don't know what our feedback means.

2. "The more we work together, the clearer our focus has become." Here in lies the power of PLC and the effect it can have on student learning: We know our learning goal so well that we can give students the feedback needed to attain it.

by Kerri Townsend -

I think consistency in my Read Right program was spot-on.  My goal now is to take what I learned from that and transfer it to my new class of reading strategies. All my aides need to be informed on "exactly" what our expectations are and stay true to our beliefs.    Some ways we can be consistent is during an out-loud read.  The prompts we have learned are well-learned and have great results.  I think this new class gives me the opportunity to add my expertise to a system that had great bones. 

by Matthew Bohrer -

I think notes are one way of being consistent.  Often examples are provided of what the work in math should look like with the steps or algorithms being the same.  Providing these examples of rubrics for students to compare to is a great way for them to compare their work and provide consistency.

by Marcy Feickert -

Expectations for the students need to be set and clearly enforced at the beginning of the school year.  I also need to be consistent when enforcing them, just as in parenting.  

I find TIME to be a huge struggle for me.  I would love to consistently be able to give constructive feedback to my students to help them grow, but often find myself struggling to get through the standards that need to be taught.

In reply to Marcy Feickert

by Becky Davis -

You are so right, time is a huge constraint! Consistency for expectations has to be established at the end of the year as well, like you said!

In reply to Marcy Feickert

by Kelly Schettler -

You are so right about expectations needing to be clear and consistently enforced! I too, find myself struggling to find enough time in the day/week/year. There never seems to be enough time! 

by Tamara Tufte -

Consistency can honestly be a little difficult in the world of education.  All students are different and the way each of them presents information, or forms products, will also be very different.  Having a rubric to use is probably the best way to work toward consistency.  When I was reading about consistency in the article, I realized it may be an issue when I am having students doing peer-to-peer editing and feedback.  Are they all really on the same page when they do this?  I want to make a greater effort toward student consistency this year.  

by Stacy Carufel -

I need to improve upon using rubrics regarding expectations in order to provide a concrete reference for students.

by Wendy Hafner-Bakken -

I plan to schedule times throughout my lesson plans where feedback will be given to students both from the teacher and peers.

by Thomas Bushaw -

Developing clear objectives and goals allows for feedback to become more consistent. Rubrics and Proficiency scales will help with this. I like to use rubrics across multiple units that are the same to allow for consistent feedback. 

by Melissa Cournia -

I think the key to consistency is within PLC's. A teacher can be consistent with her feedback, but does this translate to other classes and grade levels? PLC's need time to discuss what exemplars look like for learning goals. When we do this, not only are our students held to the same standard of work, but our teaching improves through this process, too. 

I create consistency with my feedback through a continuum with a checklist and rubrics to further define each area on the continuum. I use this language when teaching minilessons, conferencing, and when writing feedback on their written work. 

by Alisha Gerving -

Consistency in special education is key with data points, and this is a great way to schedule giving feedback on their goals. To give consistent feedback in the classroom, their should be a time set aside to give students feedback. They then know when it is coming.

by Melissa Schmitt -

By looking at goals and the data and looking at the rubric, you can be consistent on your feedback and pinpoint what areas the students "get" and what areas they need to continue their work. 

by Andrea Frantz -

In SpEd we have such direct goals and our data is so direct and regimented based on trials and such that it is almost always consistent feedback relating to the goal/ data received. 

by Stephen Townsend -

Using proficiency scales and rubrics helps to ensure consistency.  Teachers working together in PLCs to discuss student learning and feedback also ensures consistency.