Key 6: Ongoing

Key 6: Ongoing

by BPS Facilitator -
Number of replies: 32

Ongoing imageOngoing

READ: Adjusting our performance depends on not only receiving feedback but also having opportunities to use it. What makes any assessment in education formative is not merely that it precedes summative assessments, but that the performer has opportunities, if results are less than optimal, to reshape the performance to better achieve the goal. In summative assessment, the feedback comes too late; the performance is over.

Thus, the more feedback I can receive in real time, the better my ultimate performance will be. This is how all highly successful computer games work. If you play Angry Birds, Halo, Guitar Hero, or Tetris, you know that the key to substantial improvement is that the feedback is both timely and ongoing. When you fail, you can immediately start over—sometimes even right where you left off—to get another opportunity to receive and learn from the feedback. (This powerful feedback loop is also user-friendly. Games are built to reflect and adapt to our changing need, pace, and ability to process information.)

It is telling, too, that performers are often judged on their ability to adjust in light of feedback. The ability to quickly adapt one's performance is a mark of all great achievers and problem solvers in a wide array of fields. Or, as many little league coaches say, "The problem is not making errors; you will all miss many balls in the field, and that's part of learning. The problem is when you don't learn from the errors."

REFLECT:

How can we provide ongoing feedback from our formative assessment?

How can we provide students opportunities to apply feedback to improve performance?

In reply to BPS Facilitator

Re: Key 6: Ongoing

by Laura Wagner -

I really like the idea of training students to work in on-going, at least weekly writing groups to give and get feedback to and from peers. 

by Robin Jossart -

In my summer biology class the students work on their science project every morning when they first get to class.  I spend the time discussing the project with the students individually, providing feedback and ideas to improve.  The students can use this opportunity to make revisions without fear of poor grades.  The final outcome is what will be graded.

by Cara Emerson -

We can have time to conference with students as they are all working on the standards.  

If we have alternate assignments, time within our classes for practice, students can then take the feedback and apply it to the work they have done, or new work that they are beginning.

by Lisa Bauman -

We are working to set up a progress monitor log for our adaptive PE mentees and mentors to monitor each others progress on our I can statements.  I am excited to see them work together towards success.

In reply to Lisa Bauman

by Melissa Cournia -

What progress monitoring truly means! Too often this term comes across as cumbersome, "What's your progress monitoring tool?", almost another extra to add to our to do list. But it really isn't, instead it is meant to be a powerful tool that drives feedback, instruction, and growth. Here's the learning goal we want you to attain by the end of the year, here's how you have progressed toward that goal, and here's where we need to go next to keep you making progress.

by Rhiannon Reems -

We have to give student multiple opportunities and time to apply the feedback to improve. If we only give them one shot, and they do not meet expectations, they are never going to learn the value of working to make improvements. Once you hand back a formative assessment, give students time to look at the feedback and actually make changes to it, so they can see how they can improve their performance. They can use this knowledge the next time around.

In reply to Rhiannon Reems

by Becky Davis -

You're right, we need to give students time to make the changes and reflect on their feedback to make it more meaningful.

In reply to Becky Davis

by Kelly Schettler -

I couldn't agree more...students need to have the time to learn from their mistakes and apply feedback to make corrections.  

by Vanessa DeCoteau -

As I was reading this section, one part that struck me was that something is formative if there is an opportunity to re-do, but summative if they cannot go back and make changes.  This happens every time a student has an opportunity to take an assessment, see their progress, make adjustments and retake the assessment.  When the students see their progress and make adjustments that is where meaningful learning occurs.  I think it is important to ensure that students are not just going into an assessment not prepared with the mindset that I can retake it when I bomb it.  I believe that there needs to be some meaningful work between retake attempts to show what the student has done to make adjustments or better prepare.

In reply to Vanessa DeCoteau

by Kate Skibicki -

I like your thinking here... yes some kids may not be prepared the first time but by retaking it and preparing for the retake they are in the end doing what we want.... learning it and thus meeting the standard. Hopefully they will eventually learn to prepare better and not have to retake!

by Kerri Townsend -

In teaching reading, I believe my feedback will happen daily and in the moment.  Each portion of my reading workshop is going to have different goals and expectations.  Students are going to have to rely on my feedback to propel themselves forward in the workshop.  I think opportunities can be provided in scaffolding the instruction so students eventually work more independently.

by Marcy Feickert -

I have formative assessments for each lesson taught where the students sometimes get immediate feedback.  I look forward to being able to use technology more to aide me in timely feedback.

I also allow opportunity for students to come to tutoring time to come and receive extra help and retake any formative assessment to improve their score and better help them prepare for the summative assessment.

I biggest roadblock is TIME!!  I teach freshmen who do not have a free period.  They are very limited with time to visit with teachers to retake formatives or get extra help.

by Marcy Feickert -

I have formative assessments for each lesson taught where the students sometimes get immediate feedback.  I look forward to being able to use technology more to aide me in timely feedback.

I also allow opportunity for students to come to tutoring time to come and receive extra help and retake any formative assessment to improve their score and better help them prepare for the summative assessment.

I biggest roadblock is TIME!!  I teach freshmen who do not have a free period.  They are very limited with time to visit with teachers to retake formatives or get extra help.

by Matthew Bohrer -

I think it is simply providing a number of practice opportunities that vary and are frequent. 

by Rani Nelson -

I think it is important to emphasize to students that feedback of any type is ongoing and the learning does not stop once you receive the feedback.  I think the most important part of effective feedback is then what the person receiving the feedback does next.  Many students may not know what to do or know how to stay in the "feedback loop" in order to use the feedback to be successful.  This may be something that needs to be modeled for students so they understand how to use the feedback they are given.

by Tamara Tufte -

While students are working, whether it be independent, or collaborative, I am constantly roaming the room.  I attempt to provide ongoing feedback to students.  Common themes will present themselves as I do this. I can then use the feedback I am receiving from students to provide even more teacher feedback to the group as a whole. 

In reply to Tamara Tufte

by Brittany Christenson -

I have found this to be an essential form of ongoing feedback as well, for me and my students. This also allows for those students who are hesitant to ask questions in front of the whole class to visit with me one-on-one. 

by Kristine Montgomery -

It is important to gives students opportunities to try out their skills in numerous outlets. It makes sense that feedback would have more value to the student if they had a chance to use it. There is too many times that they receive feedback and then the class moves on. 

by Stacy Carufel -

It is imperative to take the time to have individual discussions with students as they are working. Many times group feedback does not have the positive effect that one on one feedback does. I need to keep checking in with the students to ensure progress and not make assumptions that once they are on the right path that they will stay on the right path.

by Wendy Hafner-Bakken -

Giving students more opportunities to demonstrate growth with feedback given on previous assignments and allowing them to share what they need to continue to have difficulty with help improve performance.

by Rachel Jungling -

I like to have one last critique the day before the last in-class day to work on a project- that way students have some time to use any insight they gained from their peer feedback before it's time to turn in their work. 

by Melissa Ringgenberg -

I many times like to start with a pre-test, just to see where the students are with the information prior to getting into the topic.  #1, it drives my teaching to their abilities, but #2, it allows them to see where we are headed.  Therefore, work done at the beginning is never graded to the same degree as it is at the end.  

With our classes, a lot of the general information is ongoing throughout the course.  For example, the first lab is nothing more than practicing the proper methods of measuring and using equipment.  This would never be assessed in the same manner as week 8 of labs.  Therefore, it is the feedback that lends to the norms of those behaviors so students know what is expected and will continue to be expected throughout the semester.

by Jessica Bentz -

I'm continually providing my students with feedback as most of their time is spent creating products.  They know when their product turns out well and if not, we trace back steps to see what went wrong.  Like the end of the article mentioned, it's about learning from errors.  (although we would like to keep them to a minimum) :D

by Thomas Bushaw -

Feedback can be ongoing in the form of checkpoints in PBL or in the form of practice quizzing. Giving students the chance to redo failures and find success is an important part of this process. Additionally, ongoing feedback becomes increasingly valuable when similar learning units or standards have practical skills that can be practiced, revised, and assessed continuously.

by Melissa Cournia -

This idea of ongoing feedback connects to the idea "less teaching, more feedback". If our feedback truly is ongoing, this is happening all the time; teaching instead becomes ongoing feedback toward the learning goal with time for students to apply that feedback. This is where learning occurs because students are making improvements on their knowledge and skills to attain the learning goal.

Instruction would instead look something like: define learning goal, attempt, feedback, adjust and next attempt, feedback, adjust and next attempt... until learning goal is met.

by Andrea Frantz -

Ongoing feebdback is essential for students/ teachers rigid in thinking I also think it makes things more clear if specific feedback is given multiple times in various ways; sometimes ongoing is the only opportunity to give that feedback since we do have such limited time. 

by Alisha Gerving -

Students should be getting feedback and growing from it! They should have multiple opportunities to continue to work towards a skill or product. With ongoing feedback they can learn how to use it and when to maybe not use it! We may give them feedback, but it is their choice on when to use it or not.

by Melissa Schmitt -

Progress monitoring and having data points with authentic feedback is great 'ongoing feedback' that is effective with students - it's about the process, not the product. 

by Gina Phillips -

Well planned and placed checkpoints can help optimize ongoing feedback. Conferencing can offer the opportunity to offer feedback in a real time setting and work well for larger scale projects. 

Feedback should be ongoing throughout the learning process so that students have multiple attempts to work to achieve their goal given the specific and goal oriented information a teacher gives them through feedback. I think the examples of feedback towards athletes is such a powerful example of effective feedback that helps a student reach their goal.  

by Stephen Townsend -

We can give students ongoing feedback by giving them multiple/unlimited opportunities to show growth through incremental formative assessments.  This is daunting but achievable given that feedback causes learning.  

By providing feedback that students can use on those formative assessments students can use the feedback without fear of failure.  If the feedback is also goal oriented it can keep students on track to growth in the standards.  

by Cory Volk -

I like to do feedback on things done well and things that need fixing as we go along through the practice and the formative assessments. Mostly verbal.