Key 5: Timely

Key 5: Timely

by BPS Facilitator -
Number of replies: 45

Timely imageTimely

READ: In most cases, the sooner I get feedback, the better. I don't want to wait for hours or days to find out whether my students were attentive and whether they learned, or which part of my written story works and which part doesn't. I say "in most cases" to allow for situations like playing a piano piece in a recital. I don't want my teacher or the audience barking out feedback as I perform. That's why it is more precise to say that good feedback is "timely" rather than "immediate."

A great problem in education, however, is untimely feedback. Vital feedback on key performances often comes days, weeks, or even months after the performance—think of writing and handing in papers or getting back results on standardized tests. As educators, we should work overtime to figure out ways to ensure that students get more timely feedback and opportunities to use it while the attempt and effects are still fresh in their minds.

Before you say that this is impossible, remember that feedback does not need to come only from the teacher, or even from people at all. Technology is one powerful tool—part of the power of computer-assisted learning is unlimited, timely feedback and opportunities to use it. Peer review is another strategy for managing the load to ensure lots of timely feedback; it's essential, however, to train students to do small-group peer review to high standards, without immature criticisms or unhelpful praise.

REFLECT:

How can we provide students timely feedback to improve performance?

If feedback does not need to come from a teacher, how can we provide timely feedback with technology?

In reply to BPS Facilitator

Re: Key 5: Timely

by Scott Johnson -

Timely feedback is subjective.  It depends on the task at hand, yet regardless of practice people want it back even faster - instantaneous feedback is a cultural expectation that does need to be addressed.   I think of the parents that go so far as to send me an email asking how their son/daughter did on the test he/she just handed in, for the parent just got a text stating it was hard.  However, I really appreciate the author's use of the recital analogy - I plan to use that!  The biggest item to stress is the level of feedback provided.  PowerSchool offers grade indicators, but that isn't really feedback; otherwise we would not have the incessant questions of "what did I do wrong" when we enter in grades.  I think the actual product in hand to see the comments/areas of reflection is still the best way to go - which is why I am actually enrolled in this course.  I would like to see how I can use to technology to offer some more effective feedback than just right/wrong answers (in science courses, most of what we are looking for is accuracy of responses rather than subjective qualities to be worked on.)  I would like to embed some activities within my Moodle courses that can be automatically scored for instantaneous feedback to couple with the more labor-intensive and individualized feedback.

In reply to Scott Johnson

by Vanessa DeCoteau -

I find that students really like that they can see results quickly with quizzes/tests on Moodle. Moodle also allows you to give more personalized feedback for instance with essay questions where you can type responses if you would like.

In reply to Vanessa DeCoteau

by Kate Skibicki -

I also like to use moodle for midway checkpoints.  It gives my students the immediate feedback and I also allow them to retake on moodle.... I do this by not giving them the correct answer... they have to go find it!

It also lets me know which kids are ready to move on and take it to the next level, along with which students need more support from me.

by Rosann Jacobs Fode -

Technology can help with timely feedback but there are times when it is a struggle regardless of technology use. As an English teacher,  I grade a lot of writing and I need to be able to take my correcting with me. I often end up grading while I am at the pool or in my car...there are times when I need to have the paper copies. I also have not found that my ability to correct writing is any faster on the computer. Students need feedback fast. There isn't always a fast way to correct essays.

In reply to Rosann Jacobs Fode

by Stephanie Holtz -

I totally agree! I find this a challenge myself. It would be great to find ways to provide more timely feedback on a published paper but I feel strongly that written feedback is so valuable... 

by Stephanie Holtz -

As someone who teaches middle school English I find "timely" feedback a challenge. I give timely feedback throughout the process of writing by students but to give student "timely" feedback on a published product is a TIMELY task and one that I often spend 15+ hours providing written feedback on.... I would like to find ways to give more timely feedback on the product itself - I feel good about the feedback that I give throughout the process and I also have students giving each other feedback. 

by Whitney Spah -

As a Physical Educator, I primarily grade through observation.  I have developed a system where I interact with each student throughout the lesson in some form, but pick 5-7 students daily where I give them specific feedback.  This is very challenging because they may need my feedback on a different day that I have picked to watch them more closely.

I'm going to try and integrate even more peer-peer feedback, so students can at least gain feedback from each other.  As for far as technology use, students record themselves on their phones during different activities.  I have them record their partner during their golf unit.  They review their swing as they go through a skill checklist. 

In reply to Whitney Spah

by Dawn Hintz -

I love your idea to pick out 5-7 students daily.  I would like to be able to do this in classroom, and I may be able to once we get going on the Chromebooks.

In reply to Whitney Spah

by Caitlin Bauer -

I really like your plan of breaking it down to just a few students per day. It seems so impossible to try to get to every student each time, but just a handful of students per class seems very manageable. Thanks for sharing!

by Erin Hehr -

Timely feedback is the black cloud hanging over my head all school year.  I know it is critical, helpful, important, essential for growth, etc...  I also know that at the end of the day there are still only 24 hours.  I know that all teachers are spinning a lot of plates between their job, families, and other obligations.  I would love to find more efficient ways to provide timely feedback.  I will try to incorporate more peer feedback this year.  I also hope to provide more feedback online.  I'm hoping to learn more ways to do this.

In reply to Erin Hehr

by Laura Wagner -

I like your description of timely feedback as "a black cloud." I find myself feeling guilty nearly every moment of the school year; I always have student writing that needs a response at least a day ago. But despite the guilt, sometimes the overwhelming amount of writing leaves me paralyzed on my couch watching garbage television. 

I'm wondering if I could break the standards per unit down into really specific goals and have students work in writing groups to provide feedback on each small goal on a nearly daily basis. 

In reply to Erin Hehr

by Melissa Cournia -

Agreed - A person can list all the possible ways to expedite feedback, but I think a more important discussion to have is if our school leaders and PLC's believe in and support the power of feedback, then lets create the time to make this happen. If we truly stand by this idea of "less teaching, more feedback", then a shift has to happen with how we spend our time working together as professionals. 

by Andee Adams-Woodmansee -

Timely feedback is very important. My students are always amazed that I have their tests graded the next day. We then talk about how important immediate feedback is. The sooner they get the results the more they care about them. I am hoping that through this course I am able to create online assessments that can provide students with immediate feedback upon completions.

by Cara Emerson -

Often when students are working, whether it is with a partner or alone, they have to check in with me as they work on the assignment.  This way I can keep them on track and guide them in the direction they need to go.  By doing this, they are getting feedback as they are working on the assignment.  We can also use different online tools that would allow them to get feedback as they move through the work.  

by Lisa Bauman -

I'm looking forward to getting that I PAD so the students can video themselves and provide self feedback.  Perhaps I could also have a great student example to reference.

by Kayla Ekart -

Timely feedback is one of my challenges -- so much of what I ask students to do is partially subjective even with specific learning goals and proficiency scales that it is difficult to give timely feedback in areas beyond knowledge level.  Technology can help with certain skills/application level aspect of foreign language when I can anticipate incorrect responses and why students would give those.

Peer review is one aspect of timely feedback that I would like to implement more for reading and writing.

by Susie Brynjolfson -

I also struggle with timely feedback.  This past year I tried to do more "chunking" of material, and tried to give more feedback to students within the class period - at the beginning, middle, and at the end.  I like the idea of using entry slips so students can review the information from the day before - then we check that together.  In the middle of the class period - new learning - sometimes the students would give feedback to each other - still working on developing peer feedback more - they have to be taught how to do this.  Then, at the end of the hour, get an exit slip from them before they leave the class.  this is the only way I have figured out how to give timely feedback to them, otherwise I spend hours correcting at home.  I am getting away from the quantity of an assignment/practice, to focusing on the quality.  I am hoping to learn ways to be able to do more online practice with my students, and thus be able to give them feedback online.

by Mark Lardy -

In math timely feedback is critical because of how sequential it is.  Topics often times lead directly from the previous topic.  If you can give feedback in timely manor, you can correct smaller errors before they become large ones.

In reply to Mark Lardy

by Marcy Feickert -

I agree, Mark.  Feedback in a timely fashion is very important in math.  Technology really lends a hand in math in that there are so many apps today students use to get answers to problem.  Unfortunately a lot of students do just that...get answers to problems, instead of using it as a resource to check work.  

I like the fact that formative assessments after each lesson vs. quizzes and tests help students with more timely feedback.

In reply to Mark Lardy

by Kelly Schettler -

This is so true! It is so important for students to know where they are at with a standard while it is still fresh in their mind and before they move on to anything else. 

In reply to Mark Lardy

by Becky Davis -

You hit the nail on the head! It is so important in math to catch the little errors before they turn into big errors thus making timely feedback crucial!

by Dawn Hintz -

On assessments (quizzes and tests), I strive to get them back the following day.  I know students are always anxious to see how they did. 

Daily assignments are another story.  Passing back homework is challenge.  I get the assignments done, and have them ready to pass back, but get wrapped up in teaching and students.  In lower level classes, getting the daily work turned in is sometimes a challenge too.  I can see that the use of computers can aid in this.  If I can find a way to do more daily assessments on the Chromebooks, then students will have immediate feedback and I should get information from all students.

by Jane Wolf -

Peer feedback is a great way for students to get timely feedback, but how many students are really getting helpful feedback?  I agree that students need to be trained on how to provide beneficial feedback, not just offering vague or generic comments.  So then, this training too takes time, but well worth the time.

by Vanessa DeCoteau -

Timely feedback can sometimes be a challenge when you are looking for authentic feedback.  In the past year, I have moved all of my tests and quizzes over to Moodle.  This helps with immediate feedback on all of the objective portions of the test/quiz, but the essay portions still take time to read, correct, and provide feedback.  One of the things I would like to work on is creating a larger question bank to allow students an opportunity to take "practice tests" to help them measure where they need work and where they have made progress.  If they can identify where they need help that may clarify what questions they need to ask to help them focus on where they need assistance.

One tool that I used for some feedback this year was Google Docs.  I specifically used this for my Investment Plan project.  This project is something the students work on with a partner over the course of the semester.  They share it with their partner and with me.  I often find that I am totally overwhelmed when they come due as I try to get through each of them in a timely manner. This past semester, I set mini deadlines for this project instead of giving them just an end due date.  This allowed me an opportunity each week to see what they had completed for that week and provide feedback on them.  I tried to focus on just what was new for that week instead of being overwhelmed with the whole project.  The projects as a whole were much better than they have been in the past and they took less time to go through because they had an opportunity to look at my feedback and make the changes along the way.  I would still like to be able to include peer feedback in some way as well.

by Kerri Townsend -

I also agree that timely feedback is crucial; however, there are only so many hours in a day.  I will try to make feedback as timely as possible; however, class sizes and schedules sometimes put a kabosh to the plan. 

by Matthew Bohrer -

I don't like to use this as an excuse but I think timely feedback is often affected by class size.  The number of tests, papers, and homework that needs to be evaluated or corrected has a direct effect on quality and timeliness of feedback.  I can provide timely feedback by taking advantage of peer to peer review of problems and mistakes.  Maybe pairing up students that are stronger with students that are weaker.  The trick with this is how to foster the environment that eliminates immature and unhelpful criticisms.

I can use technology to provide timely feedback using Moodle and Math XL in my math class.

by Tamara Tufte -

I think if I can find some digital tools for formative assessment, it can help me in providing timely feedback.  Some of the feedback I want to provide students should be specific and written.  At other times, students should be able to evaluate incorrect vs. correct answers on formative assessments and see where more work/focus is needed.  I have been at fault for not providing timely feedback on summative assessments.  However, I believe the feedback I provide during student work time, on an ongoing basis, is more timely and therefore more effective. 

In reply to Tamara Tufte

by Melissa Cournia -

Important point here - we are not the only ones who should be assessing their work. They should be assessing their own work - not only does this help us with time but it also makes them take ownership of their learning.

by Melissa Meier Moritz -

For our project, we will be utilizing technology as a primary source of feedback for learners.  Peer feedback and collaboration will offer instant responses and supports in learning.  Teacher feedback(tangible) will be provided on a bi-weekly basis that focus on meeting standards assigned.  Overall feedback will be ongoing as students address individualized needs, contribute to overall classroom successes and actively engage and model for one another individual goals of the class. 

by Brittany Christenson -

As many in this thread have said, timely feedback is crucial but not always practical. I try to provide feedback to students as quickly as possible, especially when understanding one part is crucial to the whole in a unit or project. Unfortunately, this just isn't always fast enough when you want to provide meaningful feedback to each student as time just isn't always on our side.

One thing I try to do as often as possible is give feedback during class while students are working. I have found that giving each individual student a few minutes of my time during the class saves me a lot of stress later on. This is especially beneficial to students that don't like to ask questions in front of the whole group. Students may not be completely finished with the task at hand, but I can always refer back to the discussion we had when providing them feedback on their final product, which tends to make it more relevant.

by Stacy Carufel -

I must take the time to check in with students individually as frequently as possible to establish that they are moving forward in a positive direction before they get too far off track.

by Wendy Hafner-Bakken -

We can provide timely feedback to students by giving more opportunities to reflect on their growth throughout assignments, discussions and projects.

If feedback does not come from a teacher, using technology by providing online documents for feedback would be a good strategy.

by Deleted user -

Timely feedback is crucial to growth. Depending on the learning goal, I either take the time to meet with one student individually for feedback, or will address the class as a whole to cover issues I continuously see. Most of the time, I use technology to digitally meet with students and comment on their writing/thinking individually. I can get to so many more students in a shorter amount of time that way.

We can provide timely feedback with technology by established usual procedures that the students will get used to to get their feedback. Google Classroom is the one I use most, and once students know how it works, they know where to go to get what they need.

by Melissa Ringgenberg -

1. Again, this is something that works very well in a lab-based course, for the feedback is instant.  For example, a student is learning a new cutting technique...we are able to witness right then and there whether they have the skill or need assistance in mastering the new method.

When it comes to quizzes, tests, etc.  I usually try to get them graded and back the next day.  Sometimes this isn't always an option, but it really does make a difference when you are able to share the results the next day vs. 3 - 4 days later.

2. I am very excited to see how I can utilize the tablet that we are able to use through this course, for I am hoping to create a Googleclassroom site to be able to share many of the goals and feedback thoughts with students in written form vs. oral.  

by Jessica Bentz -

I'm continually providing my students with timely feedback as they perform a skill. This is important in their learning as they know what they're doing well and what can be approved upon.   

by Kimberly Hertz -

In the intro to foods lab, before students are released at the end of class, they must show me their end product and we discuss how the lab went (each group 1-2 mins).  By doing this, I'm able to give them immediate feedback and identify issues for the future.  I think it's great when they discuss their results with peers but they may not be able to identify how to make changes.

by Thomas Bushaw -

Timely feedback can be provided through the use of technology and interpersonal interaction and performance. Using formative quizzing with digital grading tools can give timely feedback that helps kid to know if they are grasping the content and are ready to move on to application. At the application phase feedback can be provided by working checkpoints in to student work where they have an opportunity for peer or teacher review and then revision. 

by Melissa Cournia -

Timely feedback for my readers can happen there in the moment whether it's during a conference/guided reading or from a peer during a shared text/read aloud or it can happen a day or two later in reference to their individual overarching goal. If a student needs to become more fluent, I'm going to give her feedback as were working together to help her with a smaller aspect of that goal, i.e. phrasing. But then we're also going to check-in and reflect on her progress toward that larger goal, i.e. phrasing has improved but still no intonation with punctuation. 

I'm interested in learning more about feedback from technology in their vocabulary development. I don't know how yet, but I think tech can give them a lot of repeated and varied exposure to assigned vocabulary and also help them practice application of reading strategies. 

by Alisha Gerving -

I like the idea of timely feedback, but I also want to remember that my students need time for ideas and skills to develop and set in. I want to leave enough time, for they themselves to be able to reflect and have a grasp of their own understanding.

by Melissa Schmitt -

Feedback needs to be timely and authentic.  It can come from teachers or peers as well as technology. Doing an online response so all can see and reflect can be useful as well meeting one on one with students to discuss feedback - will take time but in the long run, it will be more beneficial.

by Andrea Frantz -

I think in discussions with my small group classes we give immediate feedback and it it beneficial. However, in the past if I did a "Gallery walk" for feedback, I wasn't always going over feedback before students leave so when we revisited our feedback some of the connection was lost. I would need that immediate feedback so their connections would "stick". 

by Stephen Townsend -

By making feedback a priority we dedicate time to make sure it gets done.  Tech efficiency is going to be a huge help here.  By using automated tools to provide feedback as a starting point we can point students in the right direction and use more personal feedback to speed up the process.  

by Cory Volk -

especially with mistakes, i think you gotta tell them right away and then give them a chance to practice the fix

by Robin Nein -

Timely feedback is most difficult  with writing assignments.  By having rubrics available on line, students can use them to do a self reflection as well as peer reflections for feedback.  Quizzes and tests can also be done on line and provide immediate feedback.  Using games such as Kahoot can allow a timely feedback. Timely is important in terms of allowing students to gauge where they are on proficiency scales, make improvements on assessments, etc.