BPS Physical Education Standards Book
PE Grade Levels
Young children arrive in Kindergarten with widely varying knowledge in ....
Kindergarten Physical Education "I can ... statements"
PED-00.S1 Student demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Locomotor Cluster:
- PED-00.S1.01: Performs locomotor skills (walking, hopping, galloping, running, sliding, skipping) while maintaining balance.
- PED-00.S1.03: Performs jumping and landing actions with balance.
- PED-00.S1.04: Performs jumping & landing actions with balance.
- PED-00.S1.05: Performs locomotor skills in response to teacher-led creative rhythms.
- Non Locomotor (stability) Cluster:
- PED-00.S1.07a: Maintains momentary stillness on different bases of support (e.g., one body part, combinations of body parts, wide base, narrow base).
- PED-00.S1.07b: Forms wide, narrow, curled and twisted body shapes.
- PED-00.S1.09: Rolls sideways in a narrow body shape.
- PED-00.S1.10: Contrasts the actions of curling and stretching.
- Manipulative Cluster:
- PED-00.S1.13: Throws underhand with opposite foot forward.
- PED-00.S1.16a: Drops a ball and catches it before it bounces twice.
- PED-00.S1.16b: Catches a large ball tossed by a skilled thrower.
- PED-00.S1.17: Dribbles a ball with one hand, attempting the second contact.
- PED-00.S1.18: Taps a ball using the inside of the foot, sending it forward.
- PED-00.S1.21: Kicks a stationary ball from a stationary position, demonstrating two of the five elements of a mature kicking pattern
- PED-00.S1.22: Volleys a lightweight object (balloon), sending it upward.
- PED-00.S1.24: Strikes a lightweight object with a paddle or short-handled racket.
- PED-00.S1.27a: Executes a single jump with self-turned rope.
- PED-00.S1.27b: Jumps a long rope with teacher-assisted turning.
PED-00.S2 Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- PED-00.S2.01a: Moves in personal space to a rhythm.
- PED-00.S2.01b: is Physical Education Kindergarten Standards Moves in personal space to a rhythm.
- PED-00.S2.02: Travels in three different pathways (e.g., zig-zag, curved, straight)
- PED-00.S2.03: Travels in general space with different speeds.
- PED-00.S2.04: Identify body parts (e.g., head, shoulders, knees, chest elbows, hands and feet).
PED-00.S3 Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- PED-00.S3.01: Identifies active play opportunities outside physical education class (to include indoor and outdoor recess).
- PED-00.S3.02: Actively participates in physical education class
- PED-00.S3.03: Recognizes that when you move fast, your heart beats faster and you breathe faster.
- PED-00.S3.06: Recognizes that food provides energy for physical activity.
PED-00.S4 Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- PED-00.S4.01: Follows directions in group settings (e.g., safe behaviors, following rules, taking turns). (
- PED-00.S4.02: Acknowledges responsibility for behavior when prompted (e.g., thumbs up, fist of five, reflective listening).
- PED-00.S4.03: Follows instruction/ directions when prompted.
- PED-00.S4.04: Shares equipment and space with others.
- PED-00.S4.05: Recognizes the established protocol for class activities.
- PED-00.S4.06: Follows teacher directions for safe participation and proper use of equipment with minimal reminders.