BPS Physical Education Standards Book
PE Grade Levels
Young children arrive in 5th Grade with widely varying knowledge in ....
5th Grade Physical Education "I can ... statements"
PED-05.S1 Student demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Locomotor Cluster:
- PED-05.S1.01a: Demonstrates mature patterns of locomotor skills in dynamic small-sided practice tasks, gymnastics and dance/rhythmic movements.
- PED-05.S1.01b: Combines locomotor and manipulative skills in a variety of smallsided practice tasks in game environments.
- PED-05.S1.01c: Combines traveling with manipulative skills for execution to a target (e.g., scoring in soccer, hockey and basketball).
- PED-05.S1.02: Uses appropriate pacing for a variety of running distances.
- PED-05.S1.03: Combines jumping and landing patterns with locomotor and manipulative skills in dance/rhythmic movements, gymnastics and smallsided practice tasks in game environments.
- PED-05.S1.04: Combines jumping and landing patterns with locomotor and manipulative skills in dance/rhythmic movement, gymnastics and smallsided practice tasks in game environments.
- PED-05.S1.05: Combines locomotor skills in cultural as well as creative rhythmic activities/dances (self and group) with correct rhythm and pattern.
- PED-05.S1.06: Applied skills.
- Non Locomotor (stability) Cluster:
- PED-05.S1.07: Combines balance and transferring weight in a gymnastics sequence or rhythmic activities/dance with a partner.
- PED-05.S1.08: Transfers weight in gymnastics or rhythmic activities/dance environments.
- PED-05.S1.09: Applies skill.
- PED-05.S1.10: Performs curling, twisting and stretching actions with correct application in rhythmic activities/dance, gymnastics and smallsided practice tasks in game environments.
- PED-05.S1.11: Combines locomotor skills and movement concepts (e.g., levels, shapes, extensions, pathways, force, time, flow) to create and perform a rhythmic activities/dance with a group
- PED-05.S1.12: Combines actions, balance and weight transfers to create a gymnastics sequence with a partner on equipment or apparatus
- Manipulative Cluster:
- PED-05.S1.13a: Throws underhand using a mature pattern in nondynamic environments (closed skills), with different sizes and types of objects.
- PED-05.S1.13b: Throws underhand to a large target with accuracy
- PED-05.S1.14a: Throws overhand using a mature pattern in nondynamic environments (closed skills), with different sizes and types of objects.
- PED-05.S1.14b: Throws overhand to large target with accuracy.
- PED-05.S1.15a: Throws with accuracy, both partners moving.
- PED-05.S1.15b: Throws with reasonable accuracy in dynamic, smallsided practice tasks.
- PED-05.S1.16a: Catches a batted ball above the head, at chest or waist level and along the ground using a mature pattern in a nondynamic environment (closed skills).
- PED-05.S1.16b: Catches with accuracy, both partners moving.
- PED-05.S1.16c: Catches with reasonable accuracy in dynamic, smallsided practice tasks.
- PED-05.S1.17: Combines hand dribbling with other skills during one-onone practice tasks.
- PED-05.S1.18: Combines foot dribbling with other skills in one-on-one practice tasks
- PED-05.S1.19a: Passes with the feet, using a mature pattern, as both partners travel.
- PED-05.S1.19b: Receives a pass with the feet, using a mature pattern, as both partners travel.
- PED-05.S1.20: Dribbles with hands or feet with mature patterns in a variety of small-sided game forms.
- PED-05.S1.21: Demonstrates mature patterns of kicking and punting in small-sided practice task environments.
- PED-05.S1.22: Applies skill.
- PED-05.S1.23: Volleys a ball using a two-hand overhead pattern, sending it upward to a target.
- PED-05.S1.24: Strikes an object consecutively, with a partner, using a shorthandled implement, over a net or against a wall, in either a competitive or cooperative game environment.
- PED-05.S1.25a: Strikes a pitched ball with a bat using a mature pattern.
- PED-05.S1.25b: Combines striking with a long implement with receiving and traveling skills in a small-sided game
- PED-05.S1.26: Combines manipulative skills and traveling for execution to a target (e.g., scoring in soccer, hockey and basketball).
- PED-05.S1.27: Creates a jump-rope routine with a partner, using either a short or long rope.
PED-05.S2 Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- PED-05.S2.01: Combines spatial concepts with locomotor and nonlocomotor movements for small groups in gymnastics, rhythmic activities dance/rhythmic activities or game environments.
- PED-05.S2.02: Combines movement concepts with skills in small-sided practice tasks in game environments, gymnastics and rhythmic activities/dance with selfdirection.
- PED-05.S2.03a: Applies movement concepts to strategy in game situations.
- PED-05.S2.03b: Applies the concepts of direction and force to strike an object with a long-handled implement.
- PED-05.S2.03c: Analyzes movement situations and applies movement concepts (e.g., force, direction, speed, pathways, extensions) in smallsided practice task in game environments, rhythmic activities/dance and gymnastics.
- PED-05.S2.04: Applies skill.
- PED-05.S2.05a: Applies basic offensive and defensive strategies and tactics in invasion small-sided practice tasks.
- PED-05.S2.05b: Applies basic offensive and defensive strategies and tactics in net/wall small-sided practice tasks.
- PED-05.S2.05c: Recognizes the type of throw, volley or striking action needed for different games and sports situations.
PED-05.S3 Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- PED-05.S3.01: Charts and analyzes physical activity outside physical education class for fitness benefits of activities.
- PED-05.S3.02: Actively engages in all the activities of physical education.
- PED-05.S3.03: Differentiates between skill-related and health-related fitness. (
- PED-05.S3.04: Identifies the need for warm-up and cooldown relative to various physical activities.
- PED-05.S3.05a: Analyzes results of fitness assessment (pre- and post-), comparing results with fitness components for good health.
- PED-05.S3.05b: Designs a fitness plan to address ways to use physical activity to enhance fitness.
- PED-05.S3.06: Analyzes the impact of food choices relative to physical activity, youth sports and personal health.
PED-05.S4 Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- PED-05.S4.01: Engages in physical activity with responsible interpersonal behavior (e.g., peer to peer, student to teacher, student to referee).
- PED-05.S4.02a: Participates with responsible personal behavior in a variety of physical activity contexts, environments and facilities.
- PED-05.S4.02b: Exhibits respect for self with appropriate behavior while engaging in physical activity
- PED-05.S4.03: Gives corrective feedback respectfully to peers.
- PED-05.S4.04: Accepts, recognizes and actively involves others with both higher and lower skill abilities into physical activities and group projects.
- PED-05.S4.05: Critiques the etiquette involved in rules of various game activities.
- PED-05.S4.06: Applies safety principles with ageappropriate physical activities.
PED-05.S5 Recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interaction.
- PED-05.S5.01: Compares the health benefits of participating in selected physical activities.
- PED-05.S5.02: Expresses (e.g., written essay, visual art, creative rhythmic activities/dance) the enjoyment and/or challenge of participating in a favorite physical activity. (
- PED-05.S5.03: Analyzes different physical activities for enjoyment and challenge, identifying reasons for a positive or negative response.
- PED-05.S5.04: Describes the social benefits gained from participating in physical activity (e.g., recess, youth sport).