Health Grade Levels
3-5 Grade Level
3-5 Grade Level (Band)
3-5 Health "I can ... statements"
Standard 1: Growth and Development
HTL-EL.s1 Understand concepts related to human growth and development, health promotion, disease prevention.
- HTL-EL.s1.01: Describe the relationship between health behaviors and social, emotional, physical, and mental health.
- HTL-EL.s1.02: Identify examples of social, emotional, physical, and mental health.
- HTL-EL.s1.03: Describe ways in which a safe and healthy school and community environment can promote personal health.
- HTL-EL.s1.04: Describe ways to prevent common childhood injuries and health problems.
- HTL-EL.s1.05: Describe when it is important to seek health care.
- HTL-EL.s1.06: Explain the stages of social, emotional, physical and mental growth and development in humans from infancy to late adulthood.
- HTL-EL.s1.07: Define abstinence in relation to health behaviors.
Standard 2: Health Influences
HTL-EL.s2 Analyze the influence of family, peers, culture, media, technology, and other factors on health behaviors.
- HTL-EL.s2.01: Describe how family influences personal health behaviors.
- HTL-EL.s2.02: Identify the influence of culture on health behaviors.
- HTL-EL.s2.03: Identify how peers can influence health behaviors.
- HTL-EL.s2.04: Describe how the school and community can support personal health practices and behaviors.
- HTL-EL.s2.05: Explain how media and technology influences personal health behaviors.
Standard 3: Access Health Information
HTL-EL.s3 Demonstrate the ability to access valid health information, products and services.
- HTL-EL.s3.01: Identify characteristics of valid health information, products, and services.
- HTL-EL.s3.02: Locate resources from home, school, and community that provide valid health information.
Standard 4: Communication Skills
HTL-EL.s4 Demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health and avoid or reduce health risks.
- HTL-EL.s4.01: Demonstrate effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills to enhance health.
- HTL-EL.s4.02: Demonstrate refusal skills that avoid or reduce health risks.
- HTL-EL.s4.03: Demonstrate nonviolent strategies to manage or resolve conflict.
- HTL-EL.s4.04: Demonstrate how to ask for assistance to enhance personal health.
Standard 5: Decision Making
HTL-EL.s5 Demonstrate the ability to use decision making skills to enhance health and avoid or reduce health risks.
- HTL-EL.s5.01: Identify health-related situations that might require a thoughtful decision.
- HTL-EL.s5.02: Analyze when assistance is needed when making a health-related decision.
- HTL-EL.s5.03: List healthy options to health-related issues or problems.
- HTL-EL.s5.04: Predict the potential outcomes of each option when making a health related decision.
- HTL-EL.s5.05: Choose a healthy option when making a decision.
- HTL-EL.s5.06: Describe the outcomes of a health-related decision.
Standard 6: Goal Setting
HTL-EL.s6 Demonstrate the ability to use goal setting skills to enhance health and avoid or reduce risks.
- HTL-EL.s6.01: Set a personal health short-term goal and track progress toward its achievement.
- HTL-EL.s6.02: Identify resources to assist in achieving a personal health goal.
Standard 7: Health Practices
HTL-EL.s7 Demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and avoid or reduce health risks.
- HTL-EL.s7.01: Identify responsible personal health behaviors.
- HTL-EL.s7.02: Demonstrate healthy practices and behaviors to maintain or improve personal health.
- HTL-EL.s7.03: Demonstrate health behaviors to avoid or reduce health risks.
Standard 8: Health Advocacy
HTL-EL.s8 Demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family, and community health.
- HTL-EL.s8.01: Express opinions and give accurate information about health issues.
- HTL-EL.s8.02: Encourage others to make positive health choices.