Certainty-Based Marking

Certainty-Based Marking

by BPS Facilitator -
Number of replies: 13

After completing the (CBM w/Immediate Feedback) Quiz, please share your ideas on when you might use something like this in your own class.

• How might this setting be used differently from the "Deferred, Immediate, Interactive, or Adaptive Feedback" settings?

• What use would it have to teachers and students?

• How might an environment like this improve or supplement your current practices with regards to student self-evaluation?

• How would you use the Data from this type of Assessment?

Please feel free to reply to others.

Return to STEP 3: Digital Assessment Discussion

In reply to BPS Facilitator

Re: Certainty-Based Marking

by Katie Parker-Riccio -

I feel this type of assessment would be great for self-monitoring. It could help students decide which concepts they feel most comfortable with and which they don't. Also, they may think they know something, but they may not as well as they feel so it can help them practice true self-monitoring of skills. The data would be great to use not only for whole class instruction, but conferencing as well to hone in on more specific skills. 

by Melissa Ringgenberg -

Not knowing anything about Xmen, I really struggled with the first few assessments.  As I continued to take quiz after quiz, I did MUCH better!  The feature I like more than anything, was to check my answers so I right then if I got them right or wrong.  In having this instance feedback, I was able to better on the next quiz.  Had I not been given the correct answer, I would have continued to answer each one wrong.

by Pamela Vukelic -

My courses have several introductory assignments that explain procedures, expectations, policies, etc. Since I don't meet with my students face-to-face to discuss these things, I can see that this might be a useful tool for assessing what the students know and then informing them of any misunderstandings immediately. This would not be about course content, just about course practices. 

by Melissa Cournia -

I like that students can self-assess their confidence before submitting their answer - I think this is a key part to metacognition, but it's also an important test-taking skill - skilled test-takers mark questions they're unsure to come back to. Plus the teacher gets to see what students are taking a good guess at and what they confidently know and can answer correctly.

Since a lot of their comprehension work in my Reading Strategies class will be written or discussed, this might be good for a more standardized practice, so they can see how the knowledge and skills they're building show up in tests... I don't necessarily like the idea of test prep skills...

by Mark Neset -

I never thought of using this method of assessment before but I think it could be quite beneficial.  It could be a good way for students to self assess.  They might see if they are really prepared to take the quiz by how confident they are in their responses.  This could help prepare them for future quizzes.  

by Tiffany Fitzgerald -

Looking at all the different possibilities of how to create these quizzes, I feel that the Deferred would be great for a summative.  The Immediate feedback, Interactive, and Adaptive seem better suited to be used as formatives so they can learn from their mistakes and acquire the correct answer through some trial and error.  The CBM I think could be used for both formative and summative.  I really like the component of how certain they are on the answer.  This also helps in their reflection process.

In reply to Tiffany Fitzgerald

by Hollie Matties -

I like the CBM for self-monitoring.  Often students think they know something when in reality they don't.  I think it would be eye-opening for them to see how often their confidence level matched their knowledge level.  It would help them with reflections.

by Josephine Glatt -

This would be a nice format for students to check if they are on track.  I could see it used as a type of formative - a checkpoint.

by Rebecca Hafner -

It would be interesting for the metacognitive side of learning if children had to include in their answer how sure they felt that they were right.  I think this would definitely motivate them to learn the materials and be more self-driven.  It adds an extra element that the other assessments don't have because they have to almost grade their understanding.

This could work as a pre-Student/Teacher conferring form.  If a teacher knew how sure a child was feeling about their learning, they could explicitly plan their discussion for that student.  I would bring up the ones that they were less certain of and give them feedback on that area, rather than wasting time on other areas that they are feeling confident of their learning.  Also, it might reveal where a student is feeling confident, but they still lack understanding.

by Doris McKay -

This type of assessment would help students really be more reflective concerning their learning.  We are working on metacognition skills and this form of assessment would get students to think about why they are answering questions the way they do and how certain they are about their answers.  It would make them go much deeper in their thinking and not always give the quickest answer.  It would help me as a teacher really know how confident students were about their understanding.  I think this type of quiz would provide me with the the best information about my students' learning.

by Christy Heiple -

This type of assessment causes a lot of reflection on learning. What a great way to see what the students are thinking about how they feel about what they have learned. I like how at the end of the quiz it told you if you were under-confident or over-confident. This allows for further reflection. This type of quiz would also give you best data for moving forward.