BPS Physical Education Standards Book
PE Grade Levels
Young children arrive in 1st Grade with widely varying knowledge in ....
1st Grade Physical Education "I can ... statements"
PED-01.S1 Student demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Locomotor Cluster:
- PED-01.S1.01: Hops, gallops, jogs and slides using a mature pattern.
- PED-01.S1.03: Demonstrates two of the five critical elements for jumping and landing in a horizontal plane using two-foot takeoffs and landings.
- PED-01.S1.04: Demonstrates two of the five critical elements for jumping and landing in a vertical plane.
- PED-01.S1.05: Combines locomotor and nonlocomotor skills in a teacher-led rhythmic pattern
- Non Locomotor (stability) Cluster:
- PED-01.S1.07: Maintains stillness on different bases of support with different body shapes
- PED-01.S1.08: Transfers weight from one body part to another in self-space in rhythmic movement and gymnastics environments
- PED-01.S1.09: Rolls with either a narrow or curled body shape.
- PED-01.S1.10: Demonstrates twisting, curling, bending and stretching actions.
- Manipulative Cluster:
- PED-01.S1.13: Throws underhand, demonstrating two of the five critical elements of a mature pattern. (
- PED-01.S1.16a: Catches a soft object from a self-toss before it bounces.
- PED-01.S1.16b: Catches various sizes of balls selftossed or tossed by a skilled thrower.
- PED-01.S1.17: Dribbles continuously in self-space using the dominant hand.
- PED-01.S1.18: Taps or dribbles a ball using the inside of the foot while walking in general space.
- PED-01.S1.21: Approaches a stationary ball and kicks it forward, demonstrating two of the five critical elements of a mature pattern.
- PED-01.S1.22: Volleys an object with an open palm, sending it upward.
- PED-01.S1.24: Strikes a ball with a short-handled implement, sending it upward.
- PED-01.S1.27a: Jumps forward or backward consecutively using a self-turned rope.
- PED-01.S1.27b: Jumps a long rope up to five times consecutively with teacher-assisted
PED-01.S2 Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- PED-01.S2.01: Moves in self-space and general space in response to designated beats/rhythms
- PED-01.S2.02a: Travels demonstrating low, middle and high levels
- PED-01.S2.02b: Travels demonstrating a variety of relationships with objects (e.g., over, under, around, through).
- PED-01.S2.03a: Differentiates between fast and slow speeds.
- PED-01.S2.03b: Differentiates between strong and light force.
- PED-01.S2.04: Identify basic body planes (e.g., front, back side).
PED-01.S3 Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- PED-01.S3.01: Discusses the benefits of being active and exercising and/or playing.
- PED-01.S3.02: Actively engages in physical education class.
- PED-01.S3.03: Identifies the heart as a muscle that grows stronger with exercise, play and physical activity.
- PED-01.S3.06: Differentiates between healthy and unhealthy foods.
PED-01.S4 Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- PED-01.S4.01: Accepts personal responsibility by using equipment and space appropriately.
- PED-01.S4.02: Follows the rules and parameters of the learning environment.
- PED-01.S4.03: Responds appropriately to general feedback from the teacher.
- PED-01.S4.04: Works independently with others in a variety of class environments (e.g., small & large groups).
- PED-01.S4.05: Exhibits the established protocols for class activities.
- PED-01.S4.06: Follows teacher directions for safe participation and proper use of equipment and space with minimal reminders.
PED-01.S5 Recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interaction.
- PED-01.S5.01: Identifies physical activity as a component of good health.
- PED-01.S5.02: Recognizes that challenge in physical activities can lead to improvement.
- PED-01.S5.03a: Describes positive feelings that result from participating in physical activities.
- PED-01.S5.03b: Discusses personal reasons for enjoying physical activities (the why).